Saturday, July 10, 2010

8/7/10

It's so depressing when you see a person attempt to justify their own insecurity and inadequacy by projecting it upon their children, whether it be done in the name or religion, or racism, or whatever. It seems the best way to feel better about your own weaknesses is to pass them on. Which is shit.
Consider the wars that last generations. The only way this emnity survives is because it is inherited. We justify our actions by propogating them.
I think that it is the perogative of the next generation to outdo the last. I think nothing humbles a man further than correction from a youth. Are children a way of edifying our own values and ideals? or a way of bettering them? What is their purpose? Ack questions.
Not being a parent myself, my insight if likely limited. However I have been a child. I have grown up with a bunch of other children. It is difficult to disagree with those who made you, to reject what they offered and ask for more than they alone can give. But if we were to settle for what our parents wanted, than we would merely survive. I want to thrive.
How fortunate I am to have a father who, despite his fears, his discomfort, chooses to relish in my growth, and not resent it. I hope that with any child of my own, my desire will be that they are twice the person I am, and they will make me ashamed at how inadequate I appear in comparison. That they take the best part of me and make it better, and let the worst parts follow me to the grave.
Well that was a bit of a messy, but somethings better than nothing I guess

No comments: