Monday, July 19, 2010

14/7/10

I have no regard for people merely for sharing my beliefs. I'm considerably more interested in how they were lead to them. Because whilst we might share the same conclusion, the method in which we get there makes all the difference. Consider the abortion debate. I disagree with it's illegal status, whilst I might enocunter so agrees with such a statement, their reason for doing so is that they disregard human life, or do not count phoetus' as living things, which is something I definitely do not hold to.
You have to be careful who you let jump on your bandwagon. Many causes are often more damaged due to the people who do join it, rather than those who do not.
I think it is for this reason that I strive to have such diversity in the discussion group. I recognize that in these individuals the method for processing their beliefs is firmly based in reason and rational, despite the many varied places it has taken them especially in light the many places in which they have been. I see that as the unifying trait, the common ground in which we will grow together.
There are times wherein I wish I had immortality, or did not sleep, or any ability that would permit me to absorb the oversaturation of arts that has drenched our lives. It's like a whirling tornado of creativity, or a locust plague of awesomeness. There's no time to appreciate it all, you just have to pounce on whatever you can grab, before it all slips away. Everyday there is a lifetime of books written, of films created, of music played. I wish that I had the time to take it all in, to gasp at every wonder, to laugh at every joke, to be fascinated by every fact, to be enlightened by every philosophy, to be caught breathless at every cresendo. It is difficult not to despair at all the experiences that I am missing, at all the lives I could be living. But I must remember that I am merely human, and that whatever I might be able to get my hands on is a world of awesome in itself, and that I should be grateful for the little I receive, and not resent the rest that passes beyond my reach.
It is a fantastic problem. I am grateful to have it.

No comments: