Monday, July 19, 2010

16/7/10 - TOYS

There is unparralleled quality in Pixar. Every release surprises and delights with unnerving predictability, and Toy Story 3 takes this to a whole new level.
The films imagination unfolds from the very first scene, which delights us with it's adventure, and then threatens us with it's fading. The result is suspense. Andy is going to college, what possibly could old childhood toys be used for? A question we are left pondering for most of the movie. Predictability is thrown out the window, which, in a child's film, is a huge acheivement in itself.
and that's the beauty of this film. It's painted as a kid's film, but it has every element required for fantastic cinema: character development, humour on all levels, sincerity, unpredictability, cinematography, beautiful visuals, incredible ambience. It reawakens all the passions of childhood and makes it appreciated in all the ways we've learnt to understand as adults.
the introduction of new villians and characters are done seamlessly, and hilariously. The plot unfolds slowly and it's a little hard to forsee the destination, but it manages it in a way that kept the third instalment original and fresh, without resorting to tired devices, adn the emotional journey of the characters takes our hearts on a roller coaster ride, and at times threatens to break all those safety rules we comfort ourselves with when watching Kid movies.
There is no veil here. There is no hoodwinking us into thinking this movie is better than it is with shallow jokes, and insincere emotions and pale characters, as is so common with films today. It never tries, it just does, and it does it so well, and in a way that is so accesible, from the youngest youths to the grouchiest adults. this film will draw you in and take your breath away, in will make you recoil in fear, and laugh with joy, and never for a second does it let you get away with thinking 'they're just toys.'

I'm a pretty competitive gamer. If there is no element of competition in a game, then it had better have a damn good story. And if it can't do that then I probably won't be buying it. But it's problematic, because theres come a point in each day where I get tired. When you spend about 11 hours of each day consumed with work, and getting to and from it, it doesn't leave you a lot of energy for the things that really matter. Add a spouse that requires love and attention, and you do the math. The day takes a lot out of you, and nothing is worse than being in that lethargic state and trying to play a decent game of Starcraft.
It's the biggest conflict of spirit and body! I crave the burning flesh of zerglings, but am unable to spew the fires of my hellions sufficiently. I long to Emp those protoss shields, but my reflexes make my ghosts miss their mark, and my own failures only frustrate me further! Only make me burn for victory more fiercly, as it continues to escape my grasp.
I have resigned myself to the sad reality that I'll only ever have 2-3 competitive games in me each night, and that I must merely make do with the little that I have. However if I remain dedicated to excellence that should be enough. A short time that is spent with focus, and enthusiasm will improve me a hundred times more than hours of unimaginative grinding.
11 Days to go...

No comments: