Friday, November 20, 2009

I posted this on Facebook ages ago. Must say I've come a long way. The most amusing is the prodigal son pre-emptive advice.


Michael Thackray: Does it boil down to Hell?


Does it boil down to Hell?
After reading the accounts of several parental figures who were or are in religious dispositions regarding the raising of children in faith, it seemed that most attested to the most compelling argument a child finds for attaching them selves to particular religion or belief system is predominantly the fear of hell. Across the board, in my experience, many teacher figures try to draw attention and focus to the goodness of God, and the more attractive traits of their deity, however as I recall my main concern in my extreme youth was avoiding this concept of eternal suffering.
Why do I find this so disturbing? That that which is considered respectable and good by so many of us accommodates the instilling of fear into those we deem most innocent.
Is that what drove me to ultimately champion a faith so strongly and I would dare to admit, biasedly, in my life?
Damnation isn't appealing. In fact, it should probably be avoided at all costs. But what are the costs? What are we forcing ourselves to compromise to avoid this notion? This fear that is embedded within us as part of a Godly upbringing, it has taken things away.
The truth is compromised, the opportunities are left, and people sit, afraid to stray even just a little, for who knows where that chasm lies?

However this is life, and life is for living as far as I have seen. So I must stray. Straying enables me to see, and without seeing I would be no different to any other blind man.

Hell as I have come to fear it does not make sense to me, and not with the God I have come to know.
I struggle to believe that so much simply boils down to hell.
Updated over a year ago · ·
Rob Newham
Rob Newham
thats a really cool concept man :-) i liked the writing style too.
November 5, 2008 at 1:16am · Delete
Jon Owen
Jon Owen
Thanks for your candid thoughts man, now don't let your dad read this!
November 5, 2008 at 5:05am · Delete
David Burton
David Burton
Hey Michael,

Not sure I understand your note but if it means you are struggling to believe that God is a loving Dad and only has the best for you when he says stay on the narrow path than I'd encourage you to do two things:

a.
November 5, 2008 at 6:20am · Delete
David Burton
David Burton
Bugga me ... Facebook ... how did that post ... try again !! Baby Boomer struggling with Facebook!

Try reading Case for Faith by Lee Strobel. Available from Koorong - ex Atheist ...fascinating book

Look at the world and you will see the people with their lives together are christians ... that is those who really follow the gospel and give their... Read More lives up for God ..e.g. Heidi Baker. Your Dad is a wonderful guy and while I don't always agree with him (actually you probably dont rememebr a certain discussion we (your Dad and me) had when you were little and it was so strong you got scared!) his heart is in the right place. Don't let his view of Christianity get in the way of what is best for you. '"Ëxploring"the world can have long term earthly and eternal consequences .... like I said .... as Proverbs says .. Öbserve the world and the fools therein.
November 5, 2008 at 6:26am · Delete
Benjamin Campbell
Benjamin Campbell
Yes... yes is all the affirmation I need to write.

This backs up some of my recent thinking that no matter what our studies indicate to be the truth, indoctrinating our children cannot be the constructive answer to anything. It means that they believe for the wrrong reasons, and makes things very confusing when they get older and wonder how much ... Read Moreof their belief is logical and how much for the sake of their parents and to avoid damnation. Ironically, the fact that you are now going through this process of distilling fact from fiction is a case in point.

At any rate, note is A+++, would read again, arrived in good condition and well wrapped
November 5, 2008 at 10:59am · Delete
Yort Warden
November 5, 2008 at 5:06pm · Delete
Michael Thackray
Michael Thackray
Thanks for your replies.

David-
I can understand the angle at which you make your statements, and to to go into depth with everything would require more time and effort then I have now, however I must follow on from Ben's reply:
If I show an impartiality to Christian's and Christian teaching, and do not maintain a standard across the exploring of life then I am simply not being sincere in my search. What I believe is important, but why I believe something I think should be more so. I strive to believe in something because it is the truth, whatever that may be. If I do not explore, I cannot learn, If I cannot learn I cannot understand, If I do not understand, then I remain ignorant. ... Read More
I understand the need to be cautious in all things, to avoid rash decisions and to consider and pray through all things, however I cannot let caution compromise the sincerity and integrity of my search for truth. And if God is the truth, then I have nothing to fear.
November 5, 2008 at 6:21pm · Delete
Yort Warden
November 5, 2008 at 7:19pm · Delete
Lindsey Phillip Carl Price
Lindsey Phillip Carl Price

Micheal-
I think its a great idea that ur thinking about these things and searching for truth, but if ur since about doing this dont half ass it. Get out there and investigate. Maybe u should travel and research other churches, mosques, temples, and possible JW's and see wot they have to say, Dont just work off ur interpretation of the world thru ur church's upbringing. Also, Reflect on ur own church, is it theologically sound? Are you getting on with reading and understanding the Bible for urself and interpreting properly?

I have nothing against ur thoughts, infact i think their great. But remember you conclusions might not line up with an absolute truth unless researched properly with the Wider community, Sydney,NSW, Aust, World etc. Also take into account our culture greatly influences the way we think and come to conclusions, so be aware there are many different ways of thinking to our own.... Read More

Finally, i would like to say that, If God is truth and ur trusting in him with ur heart and not just ur head, with his atoning sacrifice then ur right u have nothing to lose by researching. (Psalm 139)

Yet If u come to the conclusion that there is no God, and life is meaningless, then lets us drink and be merry (Ecc 3:9-14)

But, If u come to the conclusion that God did create the universe, and we rebel against him and he still loves us and atones for our rebelions, then sh@t, we better get on with what he wants of us.

Well i hope this has all been helpful and not offensive, but just more food for thought. Cya round man ;)
November 6, 2008 at 11:11am · Delete

No comments: