Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Truth, love, and doubt...

In 21 years of living and breathing my faith I am yet to find a church that cares more about the truth than it's religion, it's community, and more than it's 'getting along.' It is something that is compromised with continuously as to minimize the tremors it sends through the foundations of our lives, the foundations we have built our entire existence around.

But it's not even the content I have a problem with. It's this pretentious certainty that has become valued and praised. We are encouraged to face our doubt, but then applaud when we find justifications for ignoring and moving around it. We get challenged, and we fail. So much we pretend to conquer doubt, when we just try and live around it.

If I can't go where I am going, and ask the questions that I have been asking, and not remain a christian, than Christianity as i have been taught it is truly broken. The only difference to what I was and what I am now is that I have finally decided to take the truth more seriously. And it comes at a cost that grows each day, but rewards with a freedom that liberates my soul. I think John had the idea.
I am no advocate for the church. I am no propagator. I do not speak from a pulpit. I am no evangelist. My agenda is not the gospel, but the truth. Once they are the same, than there will be no discord between. But may the good lord lead me to that conclusion, as I refuse to end up there, or anywhere, via my own delusions. I will merely do the best I can, with the little that I have.

But oh how that tears me...


Truth and love,

Michael

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG8eQBSp9Ao

"I'm not an atheist, though, because the belief that there is no God only mirrors the certitude of religion. No, I'm saying that doubt is the only appropriate response for human beings." - Bill Maher



3 comments:

Shamaila said...

May I ask you a question? You do not have to answer it.

If the truth you seek has been clouded from you this long, how will you know the truth when you do come across it? More importantly, what if that truth is something you don't want to hear? If God grants you what you ask for (and I believe if you are sincere in your desire for truth, he will grant it to you), it may change everything, alter all that you are familiar with. Doesn't that possibility frighten you?

That's three questions.

Michael Thackray said...

yes you may ask me a question.
firstly truth i think works in degrees. It's not like walking around in the dark a suddenly a light comes on. it's not on or off. If something is 40% true, then it's 40% true. Seeking the truth is a continual work. It's growing, it's learning, it's living. (i think).
The possibility of having to change everything is a much less frightening idea than spending the rest of my life pretending over a lie.

Is Islam true?

Shamaila said...

That makes sense. so its a constant yearning then, presumably people that seek the truth wont ever be truly satisfied. but thats not necessarily a bad thing. satisfaction leads to complacency, which leads you to devalue what you have. its better to continue to want something, even if you're not completely aware of what it is you want.

In response to your question...
Islam, in its truest form requires a person to absolutely and irrevocably surrender their life to the will of God. Knowing that truth puts the entire universe into perspective. However, just because I know that truth does not mean I am satisfied. As you say there are layers to uncovering that truth... at the moment, I’m working with foundations. I know there is one God, I know he sent Abraham and Jesus and Mohammad among others, to guide humanity. I know that if I want to serve God, I need to serve people. I lack the spiritual depth however, to grow and truly understand, even to a tiny degree, the incomprehensible MASSIVENESS (for lack of a better word) of God, of life, or purpose. In the big scheme of things, my life is nothing. I am nobody. Isn’t that huge?

I do apologise for going on like this. I get so few opportunities to discuss religion with people, without offending certain sensibilities.

Question: you speak of doubt, and that you would respect people more if they just admitted that they didn’t know. At the same time, you seek truth. Doesn’t the attainment of truth (however gradual) necessitate a kind of certainty, and the elimination of doubt?